This workshop is for coaches/mentors (adults) ONLY.
Cost: $30/session, register at UTD Marketplace
Calling all FIRST LEGO League coaches, mentors, and educators! Come brush up on your knowledge & skills during the summer break and hear proven tips for improving team performance.
UT-Dallas is once again offering summer training workshops for coaches and teachers where attendees get hands-on experience building and programming LEGO Mindstorms EV3 robots. Sessions are facilitated by Dr. Patrick Michaud, renowned FIRST coach with several world-ranked teams.
Workshops will consist of four half-day sessions on August 1-2; each session will cost $30 (thus $120 to attend all four sessions). UTD will provide the robot materials, computers, and software to be used during the sessions. (Lunch is not provided, but there are many on-campus options for lunch, and we have refrigerator/microwave for those who wish to bring lunch.)
Space is limited and registration is required — registrations will generally be taken on a first-come first-served basis.
Specific session topics for the FLL workshops include:
August 1 (9a-12n): Intro to FLL and Robot Build
– Introduction to FLL and season overview
– LEGO Mindstorms components
– Basic robot building concepts
– Assemble and test prototype robot
August 1 (1p-4p): Beginning FLL Programming
– Introduce Mindstorms EV3 software
– Robot navigation concepts
– Sensors for detecting lines, borders, colors
– Creating “My Blocks”
August 2 (9a-12n): Chassis, Attachments, Programming
– Review common game challenges
– Intermediate robot building principles
– Techniques for more competitive robots
– Common attachment types and features
– Intermediate programming: My Blocks, loop and sensor blocks, gyro-based navigation
August 2 (1p-4p): Programming and Tournament Prep
– Programming: line following, testing
– Tournament overview
– Tips for improving success in Core Values, Project, and Robot Design judging
To sign up for these workshops, please visit the UTD FIRST Robotics storefront at https://ezpay.utdallas.edu/
For more information regarding the workshops, please email <firstname.lastname@example.org>