- This event has passed.
UTD FTC Coaches Training Workshop
2018-07-30 @ 9:00am - 2018-07-31 @ 4:30pm
This clinic is intended for coaches/mentors (adults) ONLY.
Cost: $30/session, register at UTD Marketplace.
Calling all FIRST Tech Challenge coaches, mentors, and educators! Come brush up on your knowledge & skills and hear proven tips for improving team performance.
UT-Dallas is offering a 2-day training workshop for coaches and teachers where attendees get hands-on experience building and programming FIRST Tech Challenge Robots, including the new REV Robotics Expansion Hub controller and sensors. Sessions are facilitated by Dr. Patrick Michaud, North Texas FTC Affiliate Partner and renowned FIRST coach with several world-ranked teams.
Workshops will consist of four half-day sessions on July 30 and 31. Each session will cost $30 (thus $120 to attend all four sessions). UTD will provide the robot materials, computers, and software to be used during the workshops. (Lunch is not provided, but there are many on-campus options for lunch, and we have refrigerator/microwave for those who wish to bring lunch.)
Space is limited and registration is required — registrations will generally be taken on a first-come first-served basis.
July 30 (9a-12n): Intro to FTC and robot construction
– Introduction to FTC and season overview
– Basic components of the TETRIX robotics kit
– Key robot mechanical principles
– Hands-on build of a simple competition robot
July 30 (1p-4:30p): Beginning Programming for FTC
– Introduction to control system components (REV Robotics)
– Android Studio / FTC application environment
– Basic gamepad programming for navigation
– Arm and servo programming
– Touch sensors
July 31 (9a-12n): Intermediate programming and competition prep
– FTC competition: robot game, awards
– Engineering notebooks
– Other building systems, materials, and tools
– Autonomous mode programming
– Motor encoders
July 31 (1p-4:30p): Programming and building for success
– Basic game, robot design, and alliance strategies
– (Un)Successful robot designs and devices
– Principles of leverage, gears, center of gravity
– Color sensing
– Gyro/IMU sensors
– Driver automation
Registration is available via the UTD Marketplace at https://ezpay.utdallas.edu/C20239_ustores/web/classic/store_main.jsp?STOREID=135. Again, space is limited and registration will be generally first-come first-served.
For more information regarding the workshops, please email <email@example.com>