- This event has passed.
UTD Summer FLL Coaches Training Workshops
2017-08-07 @ 9:00am - 2017-08-10 @ 12:00pm
Calling all FIRST LEGO League coaches, mentors, and educators! Come brush up on your knowledge & skills during the summer break and hear proven tips for improving team performance.
UT-Dallas is once again offering summer training workshops for coaches and teachers where attendees get hands-on experience building and programming LEGO Mindstorms EV3 robots. Sessions are facilitated by Dr. Patrick Michaud, renowned FIRST coach with several world-ranked teams.
Workshops will consist of four morning sessions during the weeks of June 26-29 and August 7-10; each session will cost $30 (thus $120 to attend all four sessions). UTD will provide the robot materials, computers, and software to be used during the sessions. Space is limited and registration is required — registrations will generally be taken on a first-come first-served basis.
Specific session topics for the FLL workshops include:
Day 1: Intro to FLL and Robot Build (9a-noon)
– Introduction to FLL and season overview
– LEGO Mindstorms components
– Basic robot building concepts
– Assemble and test prototype robot
Day 2: Beginning FLL Programming (9a-noon)
– Introduce Mindstorms EV3 software
– Robot navigation concepts
– Sensors for detecting lines, borders, colors
– Creating “My Blocks”
Day 3: Chassis, Attachments, Programming (9a-noon)
– Review common game challenges
– Intermediate robot building principles
– Techniques for more competitive robots
– Common attachment types and features
– Intermediate programming: My Blocks, loop and sensor blocks, gyro-based navigation
Day 4: Programming and Tournament Prep (9a-noon)
– Programming: line following, testing
– Tournament overview
– Tips for improving success in Core Values, Project, and Robot Design judging
To sign up for these workshops, please visit the UTD FIRST Robotics storefront at https://ezpay.utdallas.edu/
For more information regarding the workshops, please email <email@example.com>