Volunteers wanted for FTC 2019 events
We are always looking for volunteers for FIRST Tech Challenge events in the North Texas Region. Volunteers can take a variety of roles, including Judges, Referees, Score Trackers, Inspectors, Hospitality, and more.
Judges select team award recipients through interaction with teams. Documentation regarding team background information is provided to familiarize judges with teams. Interview and observe teams in the judging rooms, the pit, and on the playing field. Judging is generally an all-day commitment; the morning is spent interviewing teams and after that the judges deliberate and visit individually with teams to determine event winners.
Referees observe team matches, identifies rule violations, and “call” them. Referees help the competitors to avoid breaking the rules of the Game. Referees participate in deliberations regarding contested calls, working directly through the Head Referee. Referees are needed when matches start (usually around 10:30am) and for the remainder of the event. Referees can also volunteer as Inspectors.
Robot Inspectors and Field Inspectors are responsible to ensure every robot follows the guidelines outlined in FIRST Tech Challenge Game Manual Part 1 and are ready to compete on the field. The inspection process involves filling out a checklist for every robot and placing a label or other unique tag on the robot after it passes inspection. Inspections generally take place in the early morning and are finished before matches begin (usually around 10:30am), which means that Inspectors can also volunteer to be Referees.
There are many more roles available, including Announcers, Queuers, Runners, Registration / Checkin, Hospitality, and more.
To volunteer at a North Texas FTC event,
- Create a FIRST account
- Apply to one of the events below, or search for an event via the Volunteer Dashboard
- For more information, see the volunteer registration guide
For convenience, you can directly apply for an event by following one of the links below (coming soon)
- Nov 9 – Plano Qualifier, Rice Middle School, Plano
- Nov 23 – Allen Qualifier, Allen ISD STEAM Center, Allen
- Dec 14 – Townview Qualifier, Townview Magnet Center, Dallas
- Jan 4 – Trinity River Qualifier, Tarrant County College, Fort Worth
- Jan 11 – UME Prep Qualifier, UME Prep Academy, Dallas
- Jan 18 – Aledo Qualifier, Aledo HS, Aledo
- Jan 18 – Wylie East Qualifier, Wylie East HS, Wylie
- Jan 25 – Lamar Qualifier, Lamar HS, Arlington
- Jan 25 – Woodrow Wilson Qualifier, Woodrow Wilson HS, Dallas
- Feb 1 – Hedrick Wildcard Qualifier, Hedrick Middle School, Lewisville