UTD Summer FTC Coaches Training Workshops
June 26 @ 1:00pm - June 29 @ 4:30pm
Calling all FIRST Tech Challenge coaches, mentors, and educators! Come brush up on your knowledge & skills during the summer break and hear proven tips for improving team performance.
UT-Dallas is once again offering summer training workshops for coaches and teachers where attendees get hands-on experience building and programming FIRST Tech Challenge Robots, including the new REV Robotics Expansion Hub controller and sensors. Sessions are facilitated by Dr. Patrick Michaud, renowned FIRST coach with several world-ranked teams.
Workshops will consist of four afternoon sessions during the weeks of June 26-29 and August 7-10; each session will cost $30 (thus $120 to attend all four workshops). UTD will provide the robot materials, computers, and software to be used during the workshops. Space is limited and registration is required — registrations will generally be taken on a first-come first-served basis.
Day 1: Intro to FTC and robot construction (1p-4:30p)
– Introduction to FTC and season overview
– Basic components of the TETRIX robotics kit
– Key robot mechanical principles
– Hands-on build of a simple competition robot
Day 2: Beginning Programming for FTC (1p-4:30p)
– Introduction to control system components (REV Robotics)
– Android Studio / FTC application environment
– Basic gamepad programming for navigation
– Arm and servo programming
– Touch sensors
Day 3: Intermediate programming and competition prep (1p-4:30p)
– FTC competition: robot game, awards
– Engineering notebooks
– Other building systems, materials, and tools
– Autonomous mode programming
– Motor encoders
Day 4: Programming and building for success (1p-4:30p)
– Basic game, robot design, and alliance strategies
– (Un)Successful robot designs and devices
– Principles of leverage, gears, center of gravity
– Color sensing
– Gyro/IMU sensors
– Driver automation
To sign up for these workshops, please visit the UTD FIRST Robotics storefront at https://ezpay.utdallas.edu/
select one of the available “FTC Coaches Training Workshops”. Again, space is limited and registration will be generally first-come first-served.
For more information regarding the workshops, please email <firstname.lastname@example.org>